10 Stages of Genocide:
1. Classification – People are divided into ‘Us and Them’.
2. Symbolization – People are forced to identify themselves.
3. Discrimination – People begin to face systematic discrimination.
4. Dehumanization – People equated with animals, vermin or diseases.
5. Organization – The government creates special groups (police/military) to enforce the policies.
6. Polarization – The government broadcasts propaganda to turn the populace against the group.
7. Preparation – Official action to remove/relocate people begins.
8. Persecution – Beginning of murders, theft of property, trial massacres.
9. Extermination – Wholesale elimination of the group. It is ‘extermination’ and not murder because the people are not considered human.
10. Denial – The government denies that it has committed any crime.